Zucchini, also known as courgette, is native to America and comes in numerous varieties such as Aristocrat (Waxy skin & green in color), Gold Rush (golden in color), Black Zucchini (Dark green in color), and Zucchini Gadzukes (Light Green Ridges) each offering numerous health benefits including weight loss!
How Zucchini Helps in Weight Loss?
Zucchini is very effective fruit for losing weight since it is low in carbohydrates and full of essential nutrients. Furthermore, zucchini has very low calorie count. It’s high nutritional profile and low calorific value makes zucchini an ultimate weight loss food. Its high fiber content lets you knock out extra calories than you consume.
Nutritional Profile of Zucchini
Zucchini comes packed with minerals, anti-oxidants, and other dietary fiber that assists in shedding extra pounds without restricting you’re the access of essential nutrients for your body.
Apart from taking care of your body’s nutritional needs, Zucchini also improves your digestion by keeping stomach issues at bay. It is rich in fiber that assists your liver to absorb more good cholesterol and reduce the levels of bad cholesterol. When your body has healthy cholesterol levels, it functions properly and helps in losing weight in healthy manner.
Zucchini Nutritional Value
|Sr No.||Nutrient||Amounts per 1 cup, chopped (124g)|
|4||Total Fat||0.2 g|
|9||Vitamin C||21.1 mg|
Zucchini Recipes For Weight Loss
Healthy Zucchini Tortillas
If you love tacos, this recipe is an ultimate way to give them a slimming makeover. You might be amazed to hear that a normal tacos contain double as much calories as Zucchini Tortillas does. Therefore this is definitely the best zucchini recipe for losing weight.
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp parsley leaves dried
- 1 tsp oregano leaves dried salt
- Ground black pepper
- Take a zucchini and wash it properly. Grate it to make one cup and make sure you squeeze all the liquid out of it.
- Now take grated cheese and put it in a bowl. Mix the cheese with grated zucchini with all the herbs and spices mentioned in the ingredients.
- Crack the egg into the bowl and add the coconut flour.
- Now take a parchment paper and lay it on a tray. Make for tortillas by flattening the batter on parchment paper.
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F and bake the tortillas for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in a plate with your favorite filling of Russian salad, fruit salad etc.
Zucchini Lasagna is yet another great way of cooking this healthy summer squash. Find the recipe below:
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Ground beef – Half kg
- Black pepper – 1.5 teaspoon
- 1 green bell pepper – small
- 1 onion
- Tomato paste – 1 cup
- 30 ml of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, chopped
- Hot water as needed
- 1 egg
- 450 g of low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 220 g of grated Parmesan cheese
- 220 g of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 450 g of frozen spinach, chopped, thawed, and drained
- Take a deep baking pan and grease it well.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C
- Slice the zucchini into long thin slices and sprinkle the salt over them.
- Prepare the meat sauce by cooking and stirring the beef in a skillet. Sprinkle the black pepper and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, wine, basil, sauce, oregano, and stir the mixture well. Cook the sauce for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Stir the egg, parsley, and ricotta in a bowl.
- Now take a baking pan and spread some of the meat sauce at the bottom if the pan. Make a layer of ricotta mixture, zucchini slices, spinach, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat entire step for making two more such layers.
- Now take parmesan cheese and cover the layers evenly. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake it for 45 minutes over the temperature of 175°C
- Take out and let it stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Baked Zucchini Fries
Being one of the tastiest Zucchini recipes, this one is also weight loss friendly and helps you lose weight effectively. Let’s get to the recipe now!
- 1 cup Panko*
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine Panko, Parmesan and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Working in batches, dredge zucchini in flour, dip into eggs, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
- Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Other Health Benefits of Zucchini
- Zucchini reduces the activity of harmful toxins in your body and slow you down from aging. It also detoxify you from the free radicals and inflammation.
- Zucchini is very good for people with diabetes because it helps in reducing your blood sugar levels and increases your insulin sensitivity.
- Since Zucchini helps in low in fat and sodium and high in fiber and potassium, it helps in keeping your heart health in check.
- It keeps you eye sight strong by fighting the free radicals in your body.
- It is rich in folate, riboflavin and vitamin B making it good for improving mood and reducing fatigue.
- Zucchini contains high amounts of vitamin C and polyphenols that have positive effects on thyroid and adrenal gland.